Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Goals

To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of making goals every year. They're always basically the same - write more, eat less, exercise more, waste less time, clean more, etc.
There are always some differences in the details. "Write more" could be "find at least ten writing contests to enter, write stuff and try to win!" or "start a journal and write in it at least three times per week."
How long do these goals usually last? Maybe through February. How do I feel when I don't accomplish them? Shitty.

I do have some goals for this year, though, so I guess I'll list them.

Writing Goals
Why not start with these?

The first writing goal is a new one, and should be pretty fun. I bought this little book on Amazon a few weeks ago.


It has a question for every day of the year, followed by five spaces to answer that question. Each space has a little 20__ before your answer so you can fill in the year. You answer the same question every year for five years and see how yours answers change. Interesting, right?
Some of the questions are things I really don't care about and don't want to spend the time answering, but I hope to do it because I think the project would be really fun and interesting in the end. It would be cool to have that five year record of how my thoughts change.
I might also make a little feature here, either weekly or monthly, sharing the questions and my responses.

My other writing goal is writing 750 words each day on 750words.com. I only recently discovered this website, and I like it a lot so far. It's super simple to use and understand, plus my words stay private. My favorite part is that after each writing session I can view an analysis of my writing. It tells me how long it took me to write my words, how many words I wrote per minute and even gives a bar graph showing the times my wpm sped up and when it slowed. It shows the weather in my area while I wrote, my overall mood, the rating of my writing (G, PG, PG13, R, etc.), my frequently used words and more.
I can even share that little page of information about my writing without sharing the actual writing.
I like that.

Mommy Goals

Create a more detailed bedtime routine that I follow every. single. night. No excuses, no skipping nights because I'm tired or frustrated or have homework.
I also want to start a new rewards system with them like I did with Nick when Izak was a baby. I need to make some fake money (or buy some because that's what lazy mommas do), a chart for keeping track of the money and a rewards chart. I also need to buy a big, gold gift bag to serve as the treasure box, and some treasures to put inside. They will get a certain amount of fake money each day, and lose dollars when they do things they aren't supposed to do. The amount of money they have left each day will be recorded. When they earn certain amounts, they can spend it on things like getting something out of the treasure box, going to the movies, going shopping with some real money, etc.
I've wanted to start this for a while, but I'm lazy.

School Goals

I want to maintain my 4.0 GPA, of course, which means staying organized and focused.
I want to apply for a scholarship and receive it. It would also be nice to find other scholarships I could apply for.
After I earn 24 credits (which will be at the beginning of May), I want to apply for the Alpha Sigma Lambda honors society.
I'm also considering paying out of pocket to complete another six months at WGU. I could try taking the coding classes again, and hopefully pass the classes and get the certification. Being able to work as a medical coder while I'm trying to earn my other degree would be great because I wouldn't have to worry quite so much about the money. Plus, I could always have that as a backup career.

So, those are a few of my biggest goals for this year. There are, of course, other things I plan to do, but those are the ones I wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment